This is an interview with John Doherty, the Senior Marketing Manager at HotPads (which is owned by Zillow).
This was a really fun interview for me personally, and it's the start of what I hope will be a series of these types of interviews with people I have admired in the marketing space for quite a long time!
John has for the longest time been a mentor to me in the industry, I've followed his blog and personal growth in the industry ever since first discovering him as he was a consultant at Distilled in New York City. He quickly grew to not only be a lead consultant at Distilled, but to head up Distilled's New York office. In the time John was at Distilled he performed in-depth SEO campaigns for exciting startups like Grovo and huge hotel chains.
John is a hustler to the tenth-degree. He embodies the growth mindset and pushes in-depth strategy with a focus on peek execution.
In this interview we delve into:
- What it was like getting to work at Distilled and some of the strategies they used there
- What it was like transitioning from agency life to in-house marketing team life
- What it was like growing from a single marketing person at HotPads to a team of ~9 marketers in under 2 years
- What kind of values John looks for in his hires for his internal marketing team
- How he finds the "bright spots" or biggest opportunities to grow in his marketing initiatives
So, without further ado, here's the interview!